Saturday, October 22, 2011

Subjectively and Objectively

With so many social networking sites that pop out of every brilliant minded dude and dudette, I can't keep up anymore. When my life was a little less complicated back in my mid 20s, I signed up with all possible sites you can think of. I had WAYN, Hi-5, Multiply, Friendster, Orkut, MySpace, all of which I have very seldom access anymore or worse, forgotten my passwords or user name. Then came Twitter and Facebook (which I admit, the latter is now beginning to join the former ones). With 484 friends to date, I think 84 only matter to me and the rest are eyesores. I used to have fun with Friendster until it became, hmmm, too jologs. I saw how friendships crumble right before my very eyes. People's choices of fun have become tasteless and, more often than not, at the cost of someone else's name and reputation. This had become its culture aside from it coming down to an irksome, boring site later on. That's what I saw on my network, at least. What used to be about reconnecting and sharing your thoughts became what seemed like casting stones at Magdalene. Not all, I must say. The smarter ones left the mainstream rather than contribute in the moral destruction of the network. I, for one, stayed to objectively participate in what's left of my circle.

Now I'm beginning to see the same pattern with Facebook. My social networking history is repeating itself. I got rid of the really rotten ones. The 484 friends and pseudofriends would have been in the 600s by now had I not heed to my urge to purge the list. No, I wouldn't say it's out of frivolity. I'm 99% rational. I don't need to see vanity, personal bitterness, emotional distress, mental incapacity, and topped with self-righteousness paraded around. Holy cow! Why can't it be about you and your friends at a wedding? Why can't it be about you and your family vacation? Why can't it be about you and your cooking? Why can't it be about celebrating a promotion? Why can't it be about a new movie or book? Why can't it be about your kid's saying "mama" for the first time? Those are nice to look at, read and comment on. Honestly, I would be happy to know about it. The keywords are LET GO. MOVE ON. It's not always about you and where you buy your clothes. It's not about how much your lipstick cost more than my Avon. It's not about your coworker that bugs you every single day making people know a lot more about him than you. LET GO. One bullshit about it is fine. But living it out and you laying it bare every update possible, man! Get your life back. Or blog it, at least. Facebook has so little space for too many people. Mark yours wisely and politely.

Twitter, on the other hand, is less social. I'm liking it better because it brings balance to my sanity. My opinions are safe from prejudice to people I know. I choose to mingle only with the sensible ones. This is where I can be me and my alter ego at the same time, which whoever it is, I'm still figuring out. I have full control of whom to interact with and keep it that way. I don't get bombarded with tacky comments and posts. I can do the same with Facebook, but nah. That'll be my facade.

And yes, blog, blog, blog. This is where we can go blah, blah, blah.


"I don't blame you for being you. But you can't blame me for hating it."

No comments:

Post a Comment